Creating his "underwater world", every aquarist thinks out not only the layout of accessories, but also the composition of the inhabitants, the placement of all necessary details. And very rarely, the idea of how good water will fill the volume of the bowl comes to mind. But it is precisely on this issue that one should think seriously.
The composition of water, why it is important and for whom
A deep misconception concerns the fact that a qualitative indicator of aquarium fluid affects only fish, but is completely unimportant for algae and other representatives of the flora. Hydrophytes are demanding not only in the composition of the liquid, but also in its filling with oxygen and sunlight. However, when the mobile inhabitants of the aquarium show an almost instantaneous reaction to poor conditions, which is quite simple to establish only by following the behavior of the fish, then the plants do not have such an opportunity. The slow reaction of algae does not immediately identify the problem.
But what should be the water? As a rule, tap water is poured for a couple of days. Less often, the bowl is filled with clean liquid from artesian wells, springs or reservoirs, where the habitat is considered the most suitable for the inhabitants of the home "sea". The owners know little about the characteristics of tap water, and it is precisely on this that the normal life activity of the inhabitants of your aquarium depends.
What is important to know about water:
- indicator of active reaction - pH;
- the presence of certain impurities.
It is also important the effect of biological components that appear from time to time, which sometimes change and thereby affect the characteristics of water. It also needs to be kept under control.
Read more about the characteristics of water
Differing in approximate constancy, the value relative to a particular area, affecting many other characteristics, as well as providing comfortable conditions for all inhabitants of the aquarium. Depends on the presence of calcium and magnesium salts dissolved in a certain volume of water. Measurement is done on a degree scale. It happens:
- softened or soft;
- medium hard;
- overly stiff.
The indicators for keeping aquarium inhabitants often vary, so it’s important to choose the rigidity that suits all living aquarium individuals.
How to influence the level of water hardness
Here are a few options:
- Pieces of marble rebounds or fractions of famous limestones will help increase rigidity. poured into the dirt floor in the form of crumbs. In particular, natural marble raises soft water to a level of 2-4 degrees. But the subsequent control of stiffness will be difficult, so it is best to make a filter channel from crumbs of marble. Water will be supplied through it, and so it is easier for the aquarist to monitor the level of hardness in the entire volume of the aquarium.
- It is not unreasonable to increase the level of hardness by enriching the water with calcium chloride or magnesium sulfate. The usual solution of 10% sold in pharmacies will be quite enough. But for a balance close to natural, it is necessary to enrich the liquid with magnesium sulfate. It is simple to prepare: 50 g of dry sulfate ("bitter" or "English" salt) add 750 ml of water. For 1 liter of water, 1 ml of any of the solutions is added, which increases the level of hardness by 4 degrees. So proceed from these calculations.
- Evaporation will help reduce stiffness. The conditions of an ordinary apartment are not always suitable for the procedure, but you can buy distilled water. But the use of water of such softness is not popular.
If your aquarium plants need water of strictly defined parameters, but there is no possibility to lower the available liquid, do this: the base is distilled water, and calcium chloride or Epsom salt will help to bring the level of hardness.
And a little more about water softening options:
- Boiling. This is a great way to lower salt levels. Cool boiling water and collect only surface 4/5 of the total volume of water. Do not mix layers! The bottom layer will just collect all the unnecessary salts, but the water from the surface has the necessary softness.
- A little less effective, but an additive from decoctions is applicable. For example, a decoction of alder cones. Not a good option, as is the enrichment of a liquid with peat extract. The biological balance of water can be upset to a large extent, which will affect the growth of algae, the ability to fertilize and spawn fish.
With some negativity of the latter method, it is necessary to mitigate and stimulate the spawning abilities of characinides.
The decrease or increase in water hardness must be calculated individually, based on the characteristics of the content of fish and plants. Any types and methods are averaged. But having several available drugs on hand, you can still arrange comfortable conditions for your pets. The main thing - do not forget to clean the bowl, as a rule, any biological changes occur due to the presence of food residues in the water, waste products and dead pieces of plants.